WELCOME TO ALCANCE BOXERS!
ANKC Registered Breeders. Dogs Victoria member 3100017108
Victorian Dept of Animal Welfare PER No. RB100808
Please contact Dogs Vic on email: firstname.lastname@example.org to verify our status.
Thank you for taking a look at our boxers and us humans!
There's plenty of information in the following pages about our Boxers, what we as breeders aspire to and of course plenty of photos.
If you want to know more, we encourage you to make a date and come to see us at a dog show, or contact us via email or on the mobile to visit the kennel.
Just remember that the boxer was created to be a home guardian, best friend and fierce competitor.
Take a look at this antique video for an insight into the workability of the breed:
1948 - Italian Video of Working Dogs
Looking for a sensational boxer to join your family?
If you want to express your interest in any of our boxers - current or future - then we ask that you send us an email so that we can send you what you need to know about us. We like to provide more info about who we are, what our boxers are like and what they need in order to be happy. That way you can come for a visit, prepared and ready to meet the whole pack! See our "Contact Us" page for more information.
Please note that we don't keep a wait list nor do we take deposits until pups are born. However, we do remember those who have visited with us, or called to "talk boxer".
Another great option to consider is adopting a (more???) mature boxer. You can check local rescues or on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/BoxerRescueNetwork/
Here at Alcance Boxers we actively update our canine breeding, behaviour and training knowledge. We want to be certain that what we tell our potentail "dog-in-laws" about the breed, its care and training is well founded and useful! Following is just a sample of the continuing education we have undertaken:
- In June 2009 & October 2010, Jill attended the first two webinars given by Dr Kathryn Muers, Small animal Cardiac Specialist, DVM detaling the discovery of the ARVC-1 gene in Boxers, and explanation of best practice in relation to managing a breeding breeding program with regard to cardiomyopathy in the breed. More information about Boxer Cardiomyopathy can be found here: www.cvm.ncsu.edu/vhc/csds/vcgl/boxer-arvc.html & www.youtube.com/watch
- Later in June 2009, Frank, Jill and Emilia attended the first ever Cesar Milan seminar in Melbourne.
- In September 2011, Frank & Jill attended the K9 Pro Seminar "Training in Drive", held at Bendigo, run by Steve Courtney - Nationally Accredited Dog Obedience Trainer, Law Enforcement Dog Trainer and Canine Behaviourist. More info about this program can be found here: www.k9pro.com.au
- In February 2012, all the humans from ALCANCE attended DunbarInOz, a three day training seminar conducted by the veterinarian, animal behavourist and dog trainer Dr Ian Dunbar - PhD, BSc, BVetMed, MRCVS, CPDT, CAAB.
- Dr. Dunbar received his veterinary degree and a Special Honors degree in Physiology & Biochemistry from the Royal Veterinary College (London University) plus a doctorate in animal behaviour from the Psychology Department at the University of California in Berkeley. He has authored numerous books and DVDs about puppy/dog behavior and training, including "How To Teach A New Dog Old Tricks" and the SIRIUS® Puppy Training video.
- In 1982, Dr. Dunbar designed and taught the world’s very first off-leash puppy socialization and training classes — SIRIUS® "Puppy Training". Over the past 40 years, Ian has given over 1000 seminars and workshops for dog trainers and veterinarians in an effort to popularize off-leash puppy socialization classes, temperament modification, and owner-friendly and dog-friendly dog training. More info can be found here: www.dunbarinoz.com/Home.aspx
We were all very excited about this weekend of full-on learning in canine behaviour and application, and Dr Dunbar did not disappoint.
- In April 2012, Jill participated in the DPI Public Consultation into the Code for Breeding and Rearing Establishments convened by the state government.
- In September 2012, Jill attended the webinar by ASAP Labs "Optimal Selection - A Genetic Tool to Find the Best Mate ". This webinar is designed for professional dog breeders. Dr. Neale Fretwell or Dr. Angella Hughes from MARS veterinary will discuss a new genetic tool which allows breeders to choose potential breeding mates by measuring breeding coefficients of their breeding stock. This test provides breeders with a better understanding of the specific chromosomal patterns (haplotypes) their dogs carry, allowing them to use that information in their breeding decisions and work to maximize the genetic diversity or heterozygosity in their puppies.
- In November 2012, Jill attended a seminar given by Melbourne Animal Behaviourist, Kate Mornement.
"The Science of Animal Training and Behaviour: How animals learn and how to modify behaviour". This was a good seminar which supported much of what we learend from Dr Ian Dunbar in February.
- In December 2012, Jill attended a webinar given by Laura Simonson and Team Doggess "Integrative Healthcare with W. Jean Dodds, DVM". Fascinating info re nutrition, food sensitivity and new tests now available to discover why your dog may be itching herself like crazy!.
- In February 2013, Jill attended another Ian Dunbar Three Day Seminar on "Canine Social Behaviour and Aggression". This seminar covers the following areas of Dog Social Behaviour: "DEBUNKING THE DOMINANCE MYTH”, "FEARFULNESS, REACTIVITY & FIGHTING WITH OTHER DOGS" and "FEARFULNESS & BITING PEOPLE". So Much to Learn! See the website http://www.dunbarinoz.com/2013Events.aspx for full info.
- IN EARLY 2016, WE IMPORTED SEMEN FROM AMGCH/CAN CH ARABY HIGH POINTE. OLLIE COMBINED WITH OUR GIRL AUSTRALIAN CHAMPION ALCANCE SPRING SHOWERS AND PRODUCED OUR BEAUTIFUL "VESPA". VESPA WILL BE ANOTHER HEALTHY ADDITION TO OUR BREEDING STRATEGY IN THE YEARS TO COME.
- In Februrary 2017, Jill became a full member of the PET PROFESSIONAL GUILD, The Association for Force-Free Pet Professionals. This guild represents Pet Trainers, Pet Behavior Consultants, Pet Care Service Providers, like Registered Breeders, and Veterinarians Across the Globe.
Here at Alcance, we campaign actively to Close Puppy Mills.
Would you like to discover more about the issue of Puppy Farming/Commercial breeding of dogs
and What's wrong with buying your new best friend from a pet shop?
Please have a look at this 2011 investigation - www.youtube.com/watch
In the show ring however, we believe that the good behaviour of our boxers is a credit to Emilia & Zac;
Both have grown into fantastic handlers. We couldn't do this dog showing caper without them!
Thank You my darlings! You rock!
@Alcance Boxers, it's For the Love of the Breed - Always !!!